We have moved. Please come see us at http://www.vermilionkennels.net/

Friday, December 26, 2008

Welcome to Vermilion Kennels

Vermilion Kennels is a small, in home show kennel located on 7.74 acres of land just outside of Duluth, MN….at the western tip of Lake Superior when looking at the map.

Our home and dog yards are spacious and well suited to living with two active breeds. The Wheatens, Cardigans, Steve, and I share the woods with bear, timber wolves, deer, fox, rabbits, squirrels and hundreds of birds both large and small. We enjoy a close proximity to nature, wonderful privacy, as well as near by shopping and dining opportunities. We are just two hours from Mpls/St. Paul and are truly in the wooded northland!

The dogs all live in our home. Our indoor facilities include two large bedrooms for dogs (10×16 and 12×14), with additional space for puppies and moms to be separated from dogs going to and from dog shows. Dogs have their own bathroom for grooming needs as well as close access to the family room and my office for socialization.

We have large outdoor areas for the dogs ranging from secure paddocks where they can run, play, and build muscles, to covered kennel runs which afford maximum security for those in season or small dogs. There is a separate play area especially designed for puppies and well covered to protect them from raptors….which we see almost daily! The puppy pen also protects them from snow and rain and allows youngsters to get outside in any weather.
We also have a cat, so all pups have been cat tested! And grandchildren visit frequently!

Breeding dogs is a serious responsibility. The dogs I produce will be with their families for 12-15 years and it is my hope that those will all be good years for the dog and the family. Careful, knowledgeable breeding will help insure this.

Placement of puppies is the most difficult part of the job. The welfare of individual pups and the betterment of the breed are my main considerations. When bred and born in my home, they are my responsibility for their entire life. I will always be available to them and their owners help insure that they are healthy, happy, and responsible members of their household.
Pet pups are sold only on a spay/neuter contract and I will at no time compromise this.

Show potential pups are sold only to established breeder/exhibitors, known by me or others, and able to prove their qualifications and commitment to the breed. Or to newcomers I feel I am able to work well with as they learn all there is to know about the breed in order to make sound decisions concerning their own breeding program.

Breed club membership is expected from both the seasoned exhibitor and those new to the breed, as is adherence to the applicable Codes of Ethics. At no time will I relinquish full rights to breed as one pleases in the first generation and am willing to discuss my criteria with you at any time. I realize this may limit the sale of show potential pups, but I am committed to the breed and to the trust others have placed in me with these dogs.